Volunteer Mentors For Literacy
ReadingPals is a statewide early literacy initiative that provides volunteer mentors for students from Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) through 2nd grade who may need extra help, utilizing a one-on-one approach.
45% of children in Florida are not ready for Kindergarten1 and 43% of Florida students cannot read at a minimally proficient level by the end of third grade.2 Additionally, studies show that children with mentors are more confident and have fewer behavioral problems.3 Early intervention and individualized attention gives students the best likelihood of success.
Due to COVID 19 we are only able to offer Reading Pals as a virtual option. If you have a computer with sound, microphone and good internet and want to participate reading with children using digital books, please contact Nancy Coker at NancyC@unitedwaylee.org.
Become A Volunteer
ReadingPals volunteers are asked to commit up to one hour per week with their student(s) for 25+ weeks during the school year. Each new ReadingPal must attend an orientation and be background checked before they begin the sessions. You will learn the protocols of the program during orientation and tips on how children learn to read. ReadingPals meetings will be offered both in-person and virtually in the 2021 – 2022 school year.
- Mentoring: To build genuine, impactful relationships between students and our volunteer mentors.
- Social-Emotional Development: To help students build a strong social-emotional foundation through self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
- Early Literacy: To improve students’ understanding of the fundamental building blocks of early literacy.
For more information contact NancyC@UnitedWayLee.org or call (239) 433-7544.
- Participating Schools in Lee County:
- Bonita Elementary,
- Child Development Center,
- J. Colin English Elementary,
- New Horizons Afterschool Program in Estero,
- Orange River Elementary,
- Pinewoods Elementary,
- Cape Child Dev Center at Cape Hospital,
- Lee Memorial Child Dev Center at Lee Memorial Hospital,
- Villas Elementary
We hope the ReadingPals experience will inspire our volunteers to become advocates alongside The Children’s Movement, promoting greater investment in Florida’s youngest children.